Re: [gnome-db](no subject)

El 08 Feb 2001 15:46:16 +0100, Rodrigo Moya escribió:
> Hi all!
>
> GNOME 1.4 is approaching, and as you may all know, GNOME-DB/libgda is
> (hopefully)
> going to be included as part of the "GNOME Extra Apps" Release. Due date
> for 1.4
> is about the end of March, but API freeze is some time in February
> (don't remember
> sorry).
>
> So, I am now freezing GNOME-DB/libgda sources by creating a CVS tag,
> which will
> accept only bug fixes. The development would then continue on HEAD.
> We're lucky that there have not been many changes since last release
> (0.2.2),
> so I think we can consider the current CVS sources to be quite stable
> with recent
> versions of GConf, OAF, Bonobo, etc, but anyway, I make a call for users
> to test
> this branch, and packagers to attempt making packages with that branch,
> so that
> we clean up all errors/bugs to leave it ready for release.
>
> About packages: I've given up making more broken RPMs in my Debian
> system, so
> I won't do them anymore, Carlos, can you take the responsibility on the
> RPMs?

Yes, I will do it for RedHat 6.x and RedHat 7.x

> And Akira, if you've got no time to make the Debian packages, tell me,
> and I'll
> do them myself, since I've got everything needed to make them.
>
> As I'm not very experienced with CVS tags, I ask for a little help. What
> I'm
> going to do is to create the branch:
>
> cvs -r "release-0-2-3" tag

I think that we must name it as gnome-db-0-2-branch (as other Gnome
modules do). Also I want
to discuss other time the utility of include libgda inside gnome-db when
you download it from the CVS
We are making release very often so all the people interested on
gnome-db from CVS will know what is a CVS.

If we mantain this structure when you do the branch you will mark
gnome-db and libgda as the same branch and I think
that perhaps in a near future we would do a version separation (for
example have a libgda 1.0 and a gnome-db 1.1).

I don't know how explain this in a good english so, please ask me if you
don't understand it.

> and then, I'll have two separated directories (gnome-db &
> gnome-db-0-2-3) to be able
> to work on both tags. But, if I make a change in 0-2-3 tag, how can I do
> reflect this change, if needed, in the HEAD tag?

I don't know, sorry.

> I'm not proceeding with this until I get an answer about my CVS doubts,
> so, in the
> meantime, DO NOT check in new functionality to CVS, just bug fixes.

So I must not upload report related updates?...

> Please, anybody
> can enlighten me on this? and correct me on the parts I'm wrong?
>
> Also, if we find this procedure to be good, I suggest we do the same for
> all future releases. Thus, once we freeze, packagers can work on the
> frozen

me too