Re: [gnome-db] mergeant & oracle

> On Ονδ, 2003-10-20 at 11:31, malerba gnome-db org wrote:
>> >
>> > i'm trying to use mergeant with oracle provider, but it doesn't show
>> me
>> > tables, sequences and so on...
>> > mergeant 0.12.1
>> >
>> > int int:~/Development/oracle/libgda$ mergeant
>> > Position 0: Expected 14, got 16
>> >
>> > (mergeant:24886): mergeant-WARNING **: The provider has returned the
>> > wrong
>> > number and/or types of data
>> > for the TYPES schema description.
>> > Please contact the provider's maintainer and report the problem.
>> > Position 0: Expected 14, got 16
>> >

>> These messages come out because the Oracle provider is not up to date
>> with
>> Libgda's SCHEMAs specifications (included in the documentation).
>>
>> The Oracle provider needs some work on this... For now this means you
>> can't use Mergeant with it; sorry.
>>
>> I don't know the exact state of the Oracle provider, so I can't tell
>> exactly what amount of work is required to bring it up to date.
>
> i've checked cvs version of libgda, libgnome-db and mergeant:
> mergeant showed me list of tables of database and nothing more....

Ok, so it seems that the CVS version of the Oracle provider is up to date.

The current version of Mergeant is quite limited and we are working on a
new version. For this purpose, there is a new library called libmergeant
which implements all the 'core' of mergeant. This library is already quite
useable, and is in CVS in the mergeant module.

For now it is possible to use the 'mg-db-browser' application provided in
the extra/ directory which enables to edit table's data and, if queries
are defined (by hand in an XML syntax for now), to use the queries.

It's a bit raw (in particular you may need to add a "#define
BUILD_WITH_GNOME" at the beginning of the mg-db-browser.c file to be able
to select a datasource, but it works fairly well (except with some
problems with values of numerical type, a mysterious bug).

A rewrite of Mergeant has already begun; don't hesitate to give ideas or
propose some code!

Cheers,

Vivien