Re: gnome-core compilation on Solaris

> From: "Moya Piernavieja Rodrigo" <rmoya@mail.fujitsu.es>

> I get the following error when compiling gnome-core on Solaris:
>

> /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -g -o gnome-help-browser gnome-helpwin.o
gnome-help-browser.o toc2.o toc2-man.o toc2-ghelp.o toc2-info.o docobj.o mime.o
transport.o HTParse.o cache.o parseUrl.o queue.o history.o misc.o window.o
visit.o magic.o bookmarks.o help-browser-impl.o help-browser-common.o
help-browser-skels.o -lgnorba -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_imlib -lgtk -lgdk
-lgmodule -lintl -lXext -lX11 -lsocket -lnsl -lm -lgnome -lgnomesupport -ldb
-lglib -ldl -L/export/desarrollo/gnome/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib
-L/export/desarrollo/gnome/lib -lORBitCosNaming -lORBit -lIIOP -lORBitutil
-lglib -lresolv -lnsl -lsocket -lm -lresolv -lgtkxmhtml -lXpm -lpng -lz -lgtk
-lgdk -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lintl -lXext -lX11 -lsocket -lnsl -lm
> ild: (argument error) can't find library arguments :: -lXext -lX11
> >>

> In the command line shown the -L/usr/openwin/lib points to the place where
> libXext and libX11 are, so what is the problem? (sorry if this is a stupid
> question, but I cannot guess what the problem is)

The problem is that the first "-L/usr/openwin/lib" comes *after* the -lXext and
-lX11 - and these things are order specific.  Edit the line to sort that out.

If you're using the Sun compiler, I'd also recommend you add -xildoff to the
compiler options.  Right now you're building huge executables, as it makes room
to allow you to dynamically replace object blocks within the code for fast
debugging.  Switch it off, and you should see your executable size shrink by
almost half =O)

Ta,

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'  "That weenie's avoiding me!" - Scott McNealy about i.am/BillZebub