Looking for help with automake/autoconf for Gnome game

Today I started trying to bend an automake / autoconf setup for an
existing Gnome package to fit with the game I am writing.  I was
largely unsuccessful.

Is there a template somewhere for setting up automake / autoconf setup
for a Gnome package?  I have played around with a number of things,
but I am still at a loss about where automake gets GNOME_LIBDIR and
INTLLIBS from.

The latest source tarball for the game can be obtained from:
	http://www.dccs.com.au/~dave/gnocatan/

Can someone please either give me a hand, or put me out of my misery
by doing the deed for me?  I want to split the source for the game
into three directories; client, server, and meta-server.

- Dave