Re: Simplifying package installation.

* Chris Jones (chris@black-sun.co.uk) wrote:

> Hi
>
> [I wrote a bunch of whiney "I don't agree" stuff here, but snipped it
> in favour of an alternative solution]
>
> I think I have a solution that will make installing packages easier:
>
>  o User double clicks on an RPM in gmc (or right clicks and chooses
> "Install")
>  o gmc starts the "Install new program" druid
>  o The druid extracts some data from the RPM and constructs a suitable
> step by step process
>  o This process asks any pertinant questions (if the install process
> requires him to specify anything) or tells him he needs to install
> some dependancies first
>  o Once all the data is collected, it asks for the root password
>  o The druid then forks off an rpm -Uvh and presents the results in a
> pleasant manner.
>
> /me sits back with a smug grin waiting for the "ah, but you forgot..."
> and "go away, you suck" flame mails ;)

The one thing I think you forgot was this paragraph from Miguel's
mail...

---SNIP---
   Now, why is this better?  Because a user only needs to download the
Gnumeric.App.tar.gz and put it on its home directory, we could then
take care of launching it correctly, with no root involved in the
process.                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
---SNIP---

His suggestion would simplify single-user systems, but also benefit
multi-user systems or 'family' systems, where dishing out the root
password to everyone so that they can install their own stuff is not
an option.

"Prettification" of rpm is perfectly viable, and something that
probably should be done. I think gnorpm is heading this way (last time
I looked at it was a while back tho').

It is not, however a solution to the "installing packages without root
access" problem. This is a much more tricky problem than just a pretty
front end...

You're welcome to write one though ;)

Tom.
--