Re: wxWindows and GNOME

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 08:13:55PM +0200, Robert Roebling wrote:
> > The main problem with this that I see nothing that would recommend wxGTK
> > over gtk--.
>
> wxWindows is cross-platform and doesnŽt require 27 GNOME libraries,
> instead it provides much of the functionality of GNOME out of the box.

meaning if a user runs a wxGTK app along with a GNOME up it'll eat up twice
the memory, because you'll have two versions of said functionality in memory

not to mention that a user like my mom, differences between what wxGTK and
GNOME do to achieve that functionality can be quite confusing.

> > I think the target "market" of wxWindows is people whose one priority is
> > portability, rather than people who want C++ bindings for GNOME.
>
> Yes, that is absolutely true and I want to make it easier for people
> to write program that are both portable and integrate well in a GNOME
> environment - actually, I think I have done just that already, but IŽd
> like to make that even easier than before.

To integrate well in a GNOME enviroment, basically means using the GNOME
libraries, so that everything functions in the same manner and consistently.

You don't need to offer all the features of GNOME, but the ones that wxGTK
does, it should do them the GNOME way, not in it's own way.

That is, IF it's supposed to integrate real well with GNOME ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: