Re: Gnome and Multi-threading?

I do this at work, just to play with the development
code in CVS.  Here's how I do it:

1) Leave the system installed (i.e. stable stuff) alone.

2) Create a gnome development "sandbox" area for
building stuff. /opt/gnome/src is a good place to
do this.

3) Get the *latest* autoconf/automake/libtool,
and "configure --prefix=/opt/gnome" when installing
them.  This will preserve the versions installed
with your distribution (see (1) above), and save you
from having to symlink directories all over the place.

3) When configuring the gnome packages, add a
"--prefix=/opt/gnome" to them.  You'll need to add
/opt/gnome/bin to your PATH, and /opt/gnome/lib to
your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables.  I use
a separate account to run with this environment by
default.  This also helps keep my "productive"
account from having problems when I need to do real
work.

4) Run /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-session to fire it up.
Again, I use a separate user account for this.  You
could also have that in your ~/.xinitrc file, and
leave a call to the usual /usr/bin/gnome-session in
your ~/.xsession file.  If you're not familiar with
these files, .xsession is used for graphical logins,
and .xinitrc is when running "startx" from a console.
"startx -- :1" is handy if you have the memory for
two concurrent X sessions.

5) Good Luck! =)
"Eric Gillespie, Jr." wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 10:14:47AM +0800,
> James Henstridge <james@daa.com.au> wrote:
> > This is more of a question for gnome-devel-list.  GTK aquires the lock
> > when a signal handler is entered, but not io, idle and timeout callbacks.
> > So all the signal handlers in gnome are safe.  However, there are probably
> > a number of io, idle and timeout functions that should be aquiring the
> > lock themselves but are not.  This means that using the gnome libraries
> > from multiple threads is not guaranteed to work correctly all the time.
>
> Okay, I volunteer to go through gnome-libs and make it thread-safe. I
> assume this will mean that I have to get the development version out
> from CVS. Does anyone have any advice on how to run October Gnome and
> the dev version concurrently, without any problems? My wife would not be
> happy if she were stuck using an unstable desktop...
>
> --
> Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pobox.com
>
> All hail the Dollar, King of the Earth.

|  __                         a.k.a. Eric B. Mitchell |
|  |_) .  _  _|      _|  _        ricdude@toad.net    |
|  | \ ( (_ (_| (_| (_| (/_    www.toad.net/~ricdude  |
| How's My Programming?   Call:  1 - 800 - DEV - NULL |