diag/debug prints library

  I'm thinking that this question is probably better suited for
a GNU devel list instead of GNOME-devel, but I'm regularly reminded
of this problem when using some GTK+ and GNOME apps that send a lot
of debug information to stdout and stderr even when compiled non-debug.
Usually thru assert() it seems.

  Is there a GNU/GPL'd library available the provides macros for
sending debug and diag. messages to stdout and stderr with
conditional compilation depending on a #define for debug level:

#define _DEBUG_LEVEL_ 3

  For most of my code for Uni. I normally setup a dbgtools.h which
has just these kind of macros. For example:

DIAG_PRINT("The SEQ number %d is outside the current window.\n", seq_num);

or

DEBUG_PRINT(dbg_level, "%s is invalid!\n", foo_str);

  This way I determine just how much debugging/diag. info. I want sent
to stdout and stderr at compile time yet I don't get all the overhead
from the print statements when I am ready to call the code "release".
and remove the -D_DEBUG_ -D_DIAGS_ from my Makefile. You have a little
control over what does/does not go to the console with assert(), but
fprintf(stderr,...) doesn't have any granularity at all.

  Anyway...does such a beast exist? Would anyone be interested in
using and/or helping develop a library to do such things? I'm
thinking of writing at least a quick hack with this functionality
over the holiday break from Uni. I don't want to reimplement
functionality that may already exist in some other package tho so
that's why I'm asking.

--
Nathan Valentine - nrvale0@pop.uky.edu 		AIM: NRVesKY
University of Kentucky Linux Users Group