Re: animated pics with gnome-canvas

Iain wrote:

> > I bet this isn't that hard to implement on the XFree86 level, then
> > GNOME could have Linux/*BSD support for this anyway. Might be a cool
> > enough project that we could get the X guys to do it.
>
> Definitely. How do you go about asking the XF86 guys for things?

I think XF86 got honorary membership in the X Consortium because of the very
large number of GNU/Linux users.  From what I had _heard_, XF86 users
outnumber all other X users combined.

Now since Gnome runs some 50% of the desktops on free Unix-like systems, Gnome
developers should 'hold one ear' of XF86.  Certainly KDE developers hold the
other.  If Gnome and KDE got together to insist on certain improvements to X:

    animated cursors
    256 or more colors for the cursor
    alpha channel support
    etc. etc.

I'm sure you'd be heard.

I see so many complaints by developers that go like this: 'Well, it'd be nice
to have, but the support isn't there in X where it should be.'  And there is a
lot that isn't there.  Look at GDK, which was made largely because there was
so much lacking in X.

How about starting a 'GNU Desktop Consortium', where developers and users can
submit changes to XF86 and X that would help with development.

Jeff