Re: 0.99.8pre1 ready for testing

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> On 13 Feb 1999, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > If we can't get this to happen, we may have to look
> > at doing without libaudiofile for the 1.0 release.
> > I don't think we really are making heavy use
> > of it right now.
>
> Define 'do without'.  :)  Does that mean go with the current maintainer
> release?  libaudiofile is pretty much required in order for GNOME sound
> to work, AFAIK.

If worst comes to worst, there is code in gnome-sound.c that tries to load
.wav files. It is compiled in if the user does not HAVE_AUDIOFILE. It
needs testing over a wider variety of .wav formats, but has been known to
work.

I will try sending daily e-mails to libaudiofile's maintainer to see if
that route will work :)
-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg