Re: gnome-libs in CVS

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 04:15:08PM +0100, Hawlisch Martin wrote:

> > Am I being stupid? I can build more or less any GNOME module from CVS except
> > gnome-libs - the autoconf step isn't creating a valid ./configure; I think
> > it's failing to read in most of the standard m4 files, and so it's missing
> > lots of the substitutions. Manually adding lots of the by hand to aclocal.m4
> > solves a lot of it, but I can't find AM_PATH_GDK_IMLIB, so it doesn't help
> > much.
>
> Did you set the ACLOCAL_FLAGS?
> If using a bash try
> export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /prefix/to/gnome/share/aclocal"
>
> This tells aclocal to additionally search in
> /prefix/to/gnome/share/aclocal
> for the macros.

That doesn't help the out-of-the-box problem, because the first macro that
isn't substituted is AM_CONFIG_HEADER (which is in
/usr/share/aclocal/header.m4; even if I use ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I
/usr/share/aclocal -I /usr/gnome/share/aclocal" it doesn't seem to work.

Actually, it doesn't appear to work even with my hacked aclocal.m4. The only
thing I can think of is that autoconf is ignoring its search paths completely.

There are several other things that aren't substituted earlier in
./configure, too - I get lines in the output such as:

checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
./configure: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL: command not found
./configure: AM_MAINTAINER_MODE: command not found
./configure: GNOME_COMPILE_WARNINGS: command not found
./configure: GNOME_X_CHECKS: command not found
./configure: GNOME_SUPPORT_CHECKS: command not found
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for perl5... no

Any ideas anyone?

ii  autoconf        2.13-5         automatic configure script builder

Cheers,
James

  James Aylett                                           www.zap.uk.eu.org
  james@tartarus.org                                    www.footlights.org