Re: Replacing Imlib in the GNOME libraries

On 26 Jul 1999, Raja R Harinath wrote:

> We can move all the GdkImlib functions declarations into
> gnome-compat.h, and flag them as obsolete.

I agree 100%. Among other things, ArtPixBuf isn't tested and certainly
shouldn't be the default code path in the stable branch (I'm not sure it
should go in stable at all).

At some point, we need to just branch gnome-libs. There's a lot of work
that needs to be done to prepare the next version. The next version should
be source-compatible but much cleaner. We can still do bugfix releases of
the binary compatible, *stable* version and we can put in a big "don't use
this" warning for the branch just as Gtk 1.3 does.

We don't want to make a big mess out of the stable branch in order to get
unstable features in it. If we need new features, we need to fork a devel
version. If we don't need new features and should be focusing on apps,
then let's not add new features.

Havoc