RE: panel widget as library?

Look at any corba book. It discusses not using massive amounts of function
calls from a program to a corba server. I am assuming from that, that most
orbs use iiop to talk to one another. That would be slower than using some
kind of direct method. Using a direct method between orbs would require a
standard. Is there a standard for inter orb direct communication through
shared memory or something similar for speed increases? Or did I read a
broken corba book? :)
For example, libraries were chosen in the gconf project rather then corba
objects for speed reasons. Are their reasons unfounded?