Re: The future of GNOME.

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Sergey I. Panov wrote:

> Elliot:
> >
> > DOM is used for programmatically accessing the structure of an SGML
> > document. Think of it as a way to manipulate the results of an SGML
> > parser, more or less.
>
>  I thought it is the language neutral Document Object Model to
> manipulate HTML, CSS and XML documents, and it is defined via IDL
> definitions.

Indeed it is, and HTML/CSS/XML are all specific SGML "things" (I do not
know the correct terminology here). Our two definitions are not mutually
exclusive - you just included some buzzwords :)

> Both gwp and gnumeric use XML, that is why I thought DOM might be of
> some use, but my knowlidge of CORBA, COM, OLE and OpenDoc is
> theoretic, if not less, and I can not grasp the whole picture -- it is
> too big for me. That is why I asked.

>  Personnaly, I am more interesting in CORBAizing scientific tools,
> e.g.  breezing life into GINA, but I am not sure if Bonobo is of any
> use for it.  I see it more like ComputerBoards(if anyone knows that
> company) universal library wrapped into ORBs plus signals. I was
> toying with that idea for a while now, creating C++ objects with Qt
> signals and slots and just plain C for some instruments (delay
> generators, lasers, and LeCroy oscilloscopes). I BADLY NEED AN ADVISE,
> as I easily can venture in the wrong direction.

You'll have to tell everyone what GINA is before they can help.

-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg