Re: Updated GNOME FAQ prerelease on CVS

I have a few thoughts on these types of questions.

When one answers a question like this for a new user there are
two things required.  One is the process that Gnome takes in
starting up so the user can figure out there own startup scripts
etc.  Basically good solid documentation of a single process.

The other and I'm sure more often used is a **complete** working
example.  Most users will happily cut and paste examples out of
documentation (which is the way it should be) and do small changes
from there.

If we want to have Gnome succeed these working examples are of
great importance. I realize that to some extent these in depth
answers should be part of a manual somewhere but FAQ's are probably
the most turned to documentation.

Great work on the FAQ by the way.

> Hi,

>  Gleef> The first doosie is "How do I start GNOME?"
>
> I'll try. Text is GPL'd, factual and syntactical corrections welcome.
>
> * With your standard login method and session-management
>
> [The file locations are common guesses, every platform/distro probably
> has its own. Sigh.]
> Find the file where your initial clients and the window manager are
> run. If you're using xdm, this should be ".xsession" in your home
> directory. Check out ".xinitrc" in your home directory, if you're
> using startx. If the right file does not exist, copy the default one:
>
>         cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc .xinitrc

much deleted.

--
George Farris - VE7FRG
George@gmsys.com