Re: handling of mime-types

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Nathan Clegg wrote:

> I am writing an application which interprets some mime types.  I want to
> use the default and user-defined mime-types and handlers found in the
> gnome control center.  I am confused as to the layout of files in the

Why not just use one of the mime funcions provide in gnome-libs (from
libgnome/gnome-mime.h):

const char  *gnome_mime_type                    (const gchar* filename);
const char  *gnome_mime_type_or_default         (const gchar *filename,
                                                 const gchar *defaultv);
const char  *gnome_mime_type_of_file            (const char *existing_filename);
const char  *gnome_mime_type_or_default_of_file (const char
*existing_filename,
                                                 const gchar *defaultv);
const char  *gnome_mime_type_from_magic         (const gchar *filename);

> handling them)?  Why does mc.keys define handlers for types it does not
> "own"?  It seems that they should be in gnome.keys and used by gmc instead
> of split between gnome.mime and mc.keys.

my guess is cause mc is still developed independent of gnome, and so has
an mc.keys file ment to be used in a non-gnome environment too.

-chris

Christopher Rogers      Stevens Institute of Technology
gandalf@pobox.com       http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf

Life would be much easier if we could just look at the source code