Re: Exec

On 5 May 1999 19:29:56 -0400, Arthur Griffith <arthur@belugalake.com> wrote:
>At 06:48 PM 5/5/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>It is strange, from command line:
>>
>> gnome-terminal --command='gedit'
>>
>>works as it should.
>>
>> gnome-terminal "--command='gedit'"
>>
>>works while it should not.
>>

>Actually, the two are identical. The shell simply strips off the quotes and
>passes the quoted string itself as a single argument. There are no spaces
>in the first example, so it also goes as a single argument.

I thought so too at first glance, but there is a difference - putting
"--command='gedit'" on the command line includes the ' in the argument
passed, while in the --command='gedit' case, the 's are used as
shell quotes and don't get passed.

-- Elliot
"We're sorry, we didn't know it was supposed to be invisible."
	- Sign carried outside US embassy.