i18n without autoconf

I don't know if this is the correct mailing list, sorry.

So, I have almost finished an applet, but I can't get
i18n working right. I use a self made Makefile. The applet
compiles well, but with one warning: the two lines with
"bindtextdomain ... and textdomain" are being ignored: at
compilation time, a warning says: statement with no efect.

I want the strings translated, but I prefer not to use
autoconf because my applet is part of a project that not
uses it.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Manuel Clos.