Re: Cavas Performance

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> Hmm... I can't seem to find any documentation on doing this.  Could you
> perhaps give me a small code snippet so I could see how, or point me to some
> documentation on GdkRGB.

Not sure, perhaps www.gtk.org's pointers to documentation can help you.
The API is given in gdk/gdkrgb.h, if you want to go straight to the
source.

>  I read that pixmaps are "server side resources."  I also read that all data
> between the X server and a client is through a socket of some kind, even if
> the server and the client are on the same machine.  Does that mean that I'd
> get a big performance hit if I loaded a graphic with Gdk as a pixmap (and it
> got stored on the server), and I read the pixel data from the pixmap over and
> over while building a graphics (in client memory), and then sent it to the
> server with GdkRGB?  If so, is there a way to use Gdk or Imlib or some other
> GTK/GNOME graphic library to load a graphics into client memory?

What you "really" want to do is load the pixmap file as RGB data (e.g.
perhaps using gdk-pixbuf, or whatever other library), and then use that
RGB data to help you generate your final RGB buffer for rendering by
GdkRGB.

-- Elliot
for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.