Please help a newbie Gnome developer...

All,

I am just starting out writing Gnome apps by trying to work through the
excellent Havoc Pennington book.  All is going well with the coding and
I am starting to get more confident with the GTK+ stuff.  However I am
having problems when it comes to the Gnome side.  Whenever I #include
<gnome.h> I get compilation errors to the effect:

In file included from hello.c:2:
/usr/include/gnome.h:4: gnomesupport.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/gdk/gdktypes.h:33,
                 from /usr/include/gdk/gdk.h:31,
                 from /usr/include/gtk/gtk.h:31,
                 from /usr/include/gnome.h:6,
                 from hello.c:2:
/usr/include/glib.h:66: glibconfig.h: No such file or directory

I installed the Gnome development packages from the October RPMS and
these files exist in the /lib/gnome-libs/include/ and /lib/glib/include/
directories respectively.  I know this is a simple query and far below
the level of this list but although I am a reasonable C coder I am very
unfamiliar with the UN*X build structures.  Could someone give me a
pointer as to where these files (and I guess associated object files)
should go?  Are there supposed to be environment vars. that point to
these at build time?  After I sort this out I'm sure I'll be asking a
lot more sensible questions in future.  I would appreciate any
assistance in this matter.

Thanks in advance,

Robin