GnomeUIInfo, Toggleitem and default values

I have (thanks to GnomeHello), managed to build a minimalistic
GNOME application in which I have created a menu with a set of
toggle items (GNOMEUIINFO_TOGGLEITEM). These work very well.
But now I'd also like to set those toggles to reasonable default
values and to read those values on exit (so I can reload them
upon startup).

I have looked high and low without finding any information on
how that is supposed to work.