Applet resizing questions

I'm having trouble figuring out a couple aspects of the applet
resizing behavior.

  = When I call applet_widget_get_free_space(applet) from within a
    "change_size" or "change_orient" signal handler, the size is
    sometimes positive, sometimes negative, sometimes gives the size
    of the edge panel, sometimes gives the size of the panel occupied
    by other applets, and sometimes gives the size the panel that is
    free of other applets.  How should this be interpreted?

  = I've connected a "change_position" signal handler to my widget,
    but it never gets called.  Sould it?  If so, when?

-- John Kodis.