Re: Segfault in libgnome if using electric fence

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, ERDI Gergo wrote:

> Electric fence is a tool to catch weird errors which seem to cause
> segfault in every unimaginable place: usually, these are the effect of
> bad memory management that (un)fortunatly do not cause a segfault
> where they should, but lurk in the dark waiting for the program to do
> something else.
>
> Efence solves this putting a "fence" around malloc'd blocks, that way it
> segfaults exactly where an address is read/written that shouldn't had.
>
> I tried debugging a gnome app with efence but got into some kind of
> loop. I realized the problem was gnome_segv also segfaulting, which
> led me to inspect gnome_segv itself with efence.
>
> Here's a stack trace:
>
> #0  0x4151889b in gconv () from /usr/lib/gconv/ISO8859-1.so
> #0  0x4151889b in gconv () from /usr/lib/gconv/ISO8859-1.so
> #1  0x40471b99 in mbrtowc () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #2  0x40439d10 in mbtowc () from /lib/libc.so.6

This is a problem with glibc... I think Federico saw this with gmc at one
point, too. Get the glibc people a decent bug report, and they'll be
better able to fix it.

-- Elliot					http://developer.gnome.org/
The first thing a programmer needs to admit is that any program is by far
more complex than his own mind. Thats why he partitions it into neat
pieces and avoids complexity.