Specifying language in the command line

Hi there,

Is there a way to specify the language for the application (hence the
choice of po file) to use while running an application?

Sorry this is a dumb question, but I use English in my machine. I'd
like to test a translation I am helping with. How do I do it without
altering the language for all my applications.

Thanks a lot!

--
Daniel M. German                  "There is no national science as
                                   there is no national multiplication table;