Progress bar waiting too long?

So here I am loading a bunch of images at and scaling them in one large
cluster.  This, of course takes a while.  So I thought, 'hey I'll use a
progress bar so that people will know something is going on'.  My problem is
that the progress bar wont show up until the images are done loading rendering
it pointless. Here is what I do:

/* Make the window and the progress bar and add it to the window*/
gtk_widget_show_all(window);
displayimages(); /* This makes the images and puts them in a frame in the
window it also updates the progress bar everytime a pic is done */

I've tried explicitly showing the bar with gtk_widget_show and
gtk_widget_show_now but they dont help.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong?

                                        -Govind Salias