Re: canvas for games?

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 al584493@mail.mty.itesm.mx wrote:

> Well I don't think canvas is good enough but for static sceen games, its
> too much of a generic engine, and its purpose is not games.
>
> try SDL library look for it at www.google.org/linux
>
> Mmm I read on a reply about ALLEGRO.

  Maybe it was me :)

> did someone made an ALLEGRO widget for  gnome????????

  I wish... but I don't think so.

> I used allegro years ago on DOS, but when I tested it on X windows, I
> hated it, it takes all the CPU.

  Allegro has recently improved a lot in unix.  The latest WIP supports X
with DGA, SHM, etc.  In linux it also supports svgalib, plain vga (with
great console switching code), sound with OSS, joystick.  And it's not a
seperate version of Allegro for X windows.  The same package compiles on
UNIX, DOS, WINDOWS, etc.

> what is better ALLEGRO or SDL?

  I don't know SDL.  Someday I'll try it...

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
[http://reinolinux.fe.up.pt/~ee96090]