Re: More Political Stuff

> Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > Let's rephrase that then:  Linux isn't ready to be the desktop for
> > average moron.
>
> Should it be?
>
> I don't think the current window-icon-mouse-pointer idea is appropriate
> for people who want to "get stuff done" without learning anyuthing
> more about the tool than they have to.
>
> What is the average ink flow in mm^3/sec of a ball point pen?  Why
> can I write with one without knowing who makes the ink?
>
> So the arguments should not perhaps be about whether your great-grandmother
> can install gnome and linux, nor whether Debian or Open BSD is better for
> your three-year-old boy, but instead whether it's good for someone in
> a plausible target demographic.  A college student, say, or someone at
> high school/VIth Form.
>
> Gnome is a small step forward, perhaps, but an important one.

I was saying that we can't make GNOME an answer for everything.  We can
make GNOME as pretty and whatnot as we want for the average, but it
isn't going to help.  The power and structure is a lot more important
than cosmetics, and gettings certain things together for little purpose
(how I still view the StarOffice thing, no matter what: I guess I just
hate StarOffice).