Re: gsu (Was Re: More Political Stuff)

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 10:21:15AM +1100, Nathan Hurst <njh@hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au> said
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Geoff Reedy wrote:
>
> > The real solution would be to make theme engines run in a sandbox of some
> > sort. In any case theme security/signing is IMHO not worth the trouble.
>
> This doesn't help.  I simply need to write a theme that pops up a window
> with Password: in it, and most users will simply type in their password.
> This reminds me, could someone please justify why using reboot or halt
> from the logout button requires the user's password?
>
> njh

The sandbox would make it so that you couldn't do something anything with the
pasowrd.  Ideally it would prevent you from sending the password to a remote
host or stashing it in a file somewhere.

--
Geoffrey Reedy                                       vader21@imsa.edu

"Unix-to-Unix Copy Program;" said PDP-1.  "You will never find a more
wretched hive of bugs and flamers.  We must be cautious."
				-- DECWARS