Window configure events "consolidation"

 Folks,

   I'm trying to figure a way to get window resize events "consolidated."
By this, I mean I'd like to figure a way to get the new size of the window
only *after* the user is completely done with the resizing process and has
released the mouse button.  The contents of the window are quite complex
and redrawing takes a while, so I would rather *not* do it for every one
of the configure events generated.  Can anyone suggest a way to do this?

thanks,
Jim Wiggs
wiggs wiggs net