Re: about gettext

On 04 Dec 2000 21:16:56 -0500, Ian Peters wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 12:21:28AM -0200, Lauris Kaplinski wrote:
> > Wait...
> > Writing program in spanish is theoretically OK. The only problem is, that
> > "C" locale supports only 7bit ASCII, so you cannot code most europaean
> > languages other than english in it.
> > But US people should really set their locale to en_US, not expecting, that
> > every program is written in english AFAIK.
>
> If you write your program in English you cut yourself off from our
> established translation team.  We have people capable of
> English->[native languate], but we don't have such a team for Spanish.

This is completely other issue ... and people are free in choosing whether/
how/by whom they want their programs to be translated.
My main point was still about the meaning of "C" locale (!= "en_US")
Theoretically you do not have to use human language at all for "C" - just
mark all text as "x01", "x02" etc.
Of course you have probably to do all translation yourself then... ;)

L.