Re: Antialias

On 05 Dec 2000 09:57:46 +0100, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:

> Antialiased (AA) fonts are comming along in XFree86. Keith Packard (one of
> the XFree86 hackers) have hacked away and produced a first try that
> allowes qt to display antialiased text. Here is a link for a screenshot of
> an antialiased Konqueror:
>
> http://keithp.com/~keithp/aa/
>
> There is still some more waiting but finally there is hope for AA for us
> who really want it. I know some of you will reply saying that your fonts
> are fine as they are. But I want AA.
>
> My question is if there are any plans for gnome (or rather gdk) or maybe
> even work already. Can we expect antialiased fonts in gnome 2.0?
>
> I don't know when the last changes to XFree86 will be in the stable
> realease. But hopefully 4.1 will have it.

I'm thinking there has been a lot of press about KDE lately.  Would this
be something the foundation would take care of?  Having GNOME in peoples
faces is always a good thing.  I realize it's a big job.  I could
certainly volunteer for some of it.  I'm probably not so good at
writting press releases and articles however.

It would be nice to have an article that followed that one mentioning
that GNOME/GTK will be ready to do the same thing once X is ready.
Possibly some pointers to technical info etc etc.

Just my 2 cents worth.

George Farris - VE7FRG           E-Mail : george gmsys com
G.M. Systems,                  Web page : http://www.gmsys.com
2570 Seaview Road,            Phone/Fax : (250)743-1500
Mill Bay, B.C., Canada
V0R 2P0                       Linux systems, support and services.