Application Icons

Greetings!

Is there a gnome-ified way of setting an application's icon, or do
I need to use Xlib?

Also, what is the method of GNOME taskbar's automatic figuring-out-of
icons?  Some applications are getting icons, while others are just
getting the default.  I'd like them all to receive icons.  How can setup
this up (i.e. placing certain icons in certain locations, or perhaps a
patch, or the name of the necessary file to make my own patch?)

Thanks,
Sean Etc.