Set the Gnome panel window layer from another application?

I've been doing some hacking on the galeon browser and am trying to implement a
fullscreen mode.  Right now I'm using wm hints to set the browser window to
WIN_LAYER_ABOVE_DOCK, but this is a pain since any dialogs or new windows must
also be manually set to the same layer or they will be displayed below the
fullscreen window.

What I'd really like to do is set the panel to WIN_LAYER_BELOW when fullscreen
mode is activated and return it to WIN_LAYER_DOCK when deactivated.  Is it
possible to do this from within another application?  The control center must
communicate with the panel somehow, since it can set this property, but I don't
know anything about how it works.

-Josh