cvs broken

I'm trying to do a cvs checkout on mc but it doesn't work.

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome co mc
cvs server: cannot open /root/.cvsignore: Permission denied
cvs [server aborted]: can't chdir(/root): Permission denied

Other modules works. Is there a way to list the available modules with
cvs? I guess not since I have not seen it.

The reson I wanted to get mc is because I need to drag an image around in
pretty much the same way as you can drag arbitrary shaped ikons around
with gmc. Most imortantly is that I want the user to be able to draw the
pictury outside my programs window. So it's not just enough to paint it
myself inside my window.

Maybe someone have another example of this that it is easy to read and
neatly implemented.

--
/Dennis