Re: 3D API RFC

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Hassan Aurag wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I need to say I am not a 3D expert, but I have comments given below
> to each point.

True - almost as true, as to say, that Linux is plagued with programming
languages, widget sets etc...
Probably there is room for more than one library, as I've still not found
any one, which plugs seamlessy into GNOME/Gtk framework. For seamless
plugging I mean:
- is reasonably high level (much higer than openGL)
- is reasonably easy to use for beginner (like GnomeCanvas)
- is extensible using gtk type system (i.e. no C++ classes)
- have interfaces for many languages (again no C++)
There are several other interesting possibilities, such as using
GnomeCanvas for texture rendering, using transparent canvas for 2D
graphics on top of 3D widget (menus etc.), rendering 3D world directly to
canvas...
I know nothing about DirectX, but didn't you mean Direct3D, what is
Microsoft answer to OpenGL. Both are probably too low-level for many
programmers.

>  Isn't this dead? I mean everybody I ask say it's dead!

VRML? I hope you didn't mean libglade ;-)
Still VRML is only semi-standard, human readable/writable 3D format lying
around. It WILL be probably superceded by xml based W3D, but unfortunately
the latter is still in designing phase.

Regards,
Lauris