gnome-libs compile problem

Trying to compile gnome-libs from cvs and when I run:
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
I get an error saying something like this (not exactly sure not at box right
now)
./configure: ./configure syntax error near unexpected token
'AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)
./configure: ./configure error line 538 AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)

anyone have any ideas what is wrong. I am not a programmer (just so you
know) I have installed glib, gtk+, and ORBit from cvs without any problems.
Thanks
Brad