Re: glib+orbit

On 9 Jan 2000, Owen Taylor wrote:

> bob@cs.csoft.net writes:

> > >   http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/glib/glib-the-main-event-loop.html
> >
> > I read that already. desnt say anything but how to create a new main loop.
> > (doesnt mention that there is only one ever really created).
>
> To quote:
>
>    The GMainLoop data type represents a main event loop. A GMainLoop is
>    created with g_main_new(). After adding the initial event sources,
>    g_main_run() is called. This continuously checks for new events from
>    each of the event sources and dispatches them. Finally, the processing
>    of an event from one of the sources leads to a call to g_main_quit()
>    to exit the main loop, and g_main_run() returns.
>
>    It is possible to create new instances of GMainLoop recursively. This
>    is often used in GTK+ applications when showing modal dialog
>    boxes. However, all event sources are global; they are not tied to a
>    particular GMainLoop.
>
> I'm not really sure isn't there that you'd want to see. But if you have
> suggestions on how the text could be improved we'd appreciate hearing
> about it. :-)
>
> (Actually, the text is a little unclear, in that the first part sounds
> like event sources are associated with a particular GMainLoop, and then
> that is only clarified in the second paragraph.)

Well, in hind site, the text kinda makes sence, but it is, like you said,
alittle unclear. The thing that confused me, was creating a GMainLoop.
The way the functions looked were similar to how threads look. It looks
like the loop that is returned is more then just the place holder that it
is. I am very poor at english, so I dont know how to clerify any farther.
sorry. anyway, thanks anyway. :)