RE: An Idea...

However, the output from Ghostscript is less than ideal in many cases. At
home for example, I have an HP Deskjet 610 which can print (in black) at
600x600dpi. The nearest Ghostscript can get is 300x300dpi, which is quite a
noticable difference. Not to mention that it doesn't support specific
features of my printer such as Econofast.

Hopefully, gnome-print should sort these issues (if I understand the ideas
behind gnome-print correctly)

Or, I could save up for that Postscript printer... (-: