Ann: GtkCanvas 0.1

(I have sinned. GNOME developers, please pardon me)

This is to announce GtkCanvas 0.1, a backport of the GnomeCanvas widget to
gtk+.  It can be downloaded from

http://www.atai.org/gtk-canvas/gtk-canvas-0.1.tar.gz

As a generic gtk+ widget, GtkCanvas only depends on GdkImlib and gtk+.
This widget behaves identically to the GnomeCanvas widget, with the same APIs,
except the API names are changed from gnome_canvas to gtk_canvas.

Currently the widget still depends on GdkImLib, which is available from

ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/stable/sources/imlib/

Modern GNU/Linux distributions like Red Hat should come with it already.  Since
the next version of gtk+ will drop GdkImLib and intgrate with gdk-pixbuf, it
is expected that future versions of this widget will depend upon gtk+ only.

I intend to have GtkCanvas follows GnomeCanvas closely and merges new code
whenever a stable release of the latter is made.  Thus this is not really a
fork but rather a "re-packaging" of the same code.  I recommend that people
consider using the GNOME libraries first before using this widget, as the GNOME
framework provides many services, much more than a canvas widget.

If the gtk+ maintainers decide someday to place this widget into gtk+, then I
shall turn this to them and stop distribute this widget separately.

***PLEASE CONSIDER USING THE GNOME FRAMEWORK first before using this widget!!!

Again, I basically did a re-packing.  The main authors of this software were
Federico Mena <quartic@gimp.org> (GnomeCanvas) and Raph Levien <raph@acm.org>
(libart_lgpl).

Since this is the first release of this widget, there may be bugs.
Please let me know of any problems.

Thanks,
Andy Tai

--
Li-Cheng Tai (Andy Tai)                       e-mail: atai@atai.org

Free software:  the software by the people, of the people and for the people,
worldwide.  Develop! Share! Enhance! And enjoy!