Re: pkg-config

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 03:00:52PM -0400,
Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> wrote:
>  - there aren't options to get the install dirs of a package, instead
>    you can just retrieve arbitrary variables from the .pc file, and
>    some variables like "prefix" have a conventional meaning.
>    We can add all the install dirs if people are using that
>    feature (though typical uses I've seen are broken - packages
>    end up installing stuff outside their own prefix, which prevents
>    home-dir installs and is just in general wrong). Would appreciate
>    pointers to sample uses of this feature.

I'm guilty of that, but it isn't my fault, it's GNOME's. GNOME
only checks in *its* prefix for images, .desktop files, etc.
That's why i install those files in GNOME's prefix instead of my
app's.

Specifically, the logo for the About window, the .desktop file
for menus, the gnorba files, pixmaps to be used with
gnome-app-helper toolbars and menus, and help files must all go
in GNOME's prefix, or it may as well not even exist.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pobox.com

"When I give food to the poor I am called a saint, when I ask why
 they go hungry I am called a communist"
 --Bishop Helder Camara

PGP signature