Re: Mac-style menus

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Matthew Berg wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 12:49:58PM -0400,
> > Liam Quin <liam@holoweb.net> wrote:
> > > As for gnome, tear-off menus might be a way to combine the two
> > > interfaces, and if the window manager could combine the menu
> > > bar with the window's title bar, lots of people would love you
> > > for saving all that space.
> >
> > Mac-style menus and toolbars *do* save lots of space. I don't
> > know whose hare-brained idea it was to have the menus and
> > toolbars duplicated in every single window, but i'm willing to
> > bet it was Microsoft.
>
> Ahem. *climbs on soapbox*
>
> What is the point in posting something with no content other than an
> insult towards those of us who prefer our menubars to be bound to specific
> windows?

Yeah.. its all well and good to add new features, but some people
genuinely do prefer this.  i run X at an absurd resolution, and for me to
move the mouse to the top of the window every time i want to use a menu
item would simply be annoying.. also, i think there are alot of people
that use mouse-follows-focus out there...

I AM assuming that such an feature WOULD be implemented as optional..

matt