Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: GMC icons/text and future nautilus

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Sasa Ostrouska wrote:

> Hello !
>
> I think that background on the icons is ugly. But I have an idea.
> Why don't you set the icons text being automaticaly set to the inverse color
> of the background selected ?
> If this is possible.

The problem is, how do you define inverse?  A couple of simple rules might
be:

r <- 1 - r
g <- 1 - g
b <- 1 - b

or

h <- h + 120
s <- 1 - s

but not matter what [smooth] rule you pick, there is a colour which is
unchanged by the rule.  There will also be a set of colours which are
nearly unchanged by the rule.  These come from the fixed point
theorem(brouwer).  You could make a non-smooth function, but it would
probably look ugly.  To see this, think about what you would do on a
gradient from white to black, then try your rule out on a gradient from
white to black via some primary colour.

njh