Re: Packaging formats

bighead wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Sarel J. Botha wrote:

> > My proposal:
> > A packaging system designed to be 100% rpm, deb and
> > anything-else-compatible. In other words I compile my program once and it

All Unix variants which claim to be SYSV compatible have to implement
SYSV packaging utilities. Most of the commercial variants are in this
category (BSDI might not be, since it's BSD, after all). I don't know
what free BSD variants use, but I think they have their methods.

> I think thats why we have the true universal packaging format
>
> "foo.tar.gz"

It's a problem for big things, like Gnome. Very big problem. Nobody
wants to compile from tarballs.

--
 .-.   .-.    I don't work for my employer.