re: Portable Spellchecker Interface Library

Please have a look at:

http://www.wordservices.org

Word Services works on the MacOS and BeOS; I just joined the gnome list
because I'd like to bring Word Services to XWindows.

On the Mac, the communication is done using Apple Events and the Apple
Object Model.  On the BeOS, it uses BMessages and the BeOS scripting
API.  On XWindows, I'm looking at using CORBA, so that it should be very
easy for a GTK+ application to use Word Services and not too hard for
any other application to use it.

Word Services allows any application to link to a speller, grammar
checker or other text service.  It is a public protocol; no license fee
or nondisclosure is required to use it.

Free sample source is provided in the Word Services SDK, which is
available from the web site.

It's been in use since 1992 on the Mac, and for a couple years on the
BeOS, and works quite well.  A lot of thought and effort has gone into
its development.

I think it's important we should work together so that anything
developed for Unix can take advantage of what has gone before - I've got
years of experience in working on this kind of thing that you can draw
on.

Note that Word Services isn't just for spellchecking.  It's for any
operation on text where you retrieve text from a document, do something
with the text in a GUI (optionally) and optionally put changed text
back.  It supports highlighting erroneous text in the original document
so the spellchecking app shows the speller dialog and the original app
show the bad words.

Note that the spellchecker is a separate application and there is no API
linking involved.  End users can plug in new service after you're done
writing your application without you writing any new code.

Mike Crawford
GoingWare - Expert Software Development and Consulting
http://www.goingware.com
crawford@goingware.com