Re: window-in-window MDI

* Chris Jones (chris@black-sun.co.uk) wrote:
> Hi
>
> Tom Gilbert <gilbertt@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> > btw. That means you have to support it forever, otherwise apps that
> > demand it will break.
>
> It would be easy to remove if you so desired because you could just point
> it's entry in the MDI type enum to a different type.
>
> I'm quite indifferent towards WiW MDI, but I do think choice is a good thing
> and in the absence of any convinving arguments I say it should go in.

Dude. You think this is a good idea?

http://pluton.ijs.si/~jaka/mdi/mdi-wiw.png

Seriously?

See the way the wm has no control over those child windows?

See how they look, feel and behave differently for the user?

See how the buttons are in different places?

See how it won't follow the same window switching keybindings the
user set up for his/her wm?

See how it doesn't even follow *gtk* themes, let alone wm ones?

See how it goes against all that is X and UNIX?

See how in the code the app can specify this mode and offer no
alternative to the user?

I am surprised.

Tom.
--