Re: System administration with GNOME.

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Chris Jones wrote:

> > That's an interesting view. In concept, the registry is a good idea - I
>
> Is it?
> It's rather a case of putting all your eggs in one basket. I would say the
> Windows registry is a text book example of exactly why they are a bad idea.
> Besides, it would be impossible to co-ordinate (unless Helix is going to
> start it's own distro and patch *every* daemon to use a registry of some
> kind ;)

Registry should be an option, not must-be.
I.e. sysadmin CAN set up box(es) so, that all config data is fetched from
some central database.
But if he/she doesn't want to do that, admin toolkit should read/modify
separate conffiles & be happy.
I would be extremely pleased, if I would have an admin toolkit, which can
extract all config files into one metafile for archiving - archiving
configurations, not files.
But for everyday work I prefer separate small files.

Lauris