GnomeCanvas updating

Hi,

I've written quite an extensive application using the GnomeCanvas, and
everything
works as expected except for one thing:

To get anything to display, I need to explictly force a canvas update,
either by
covering and exposing the canvas with another window, or by calling
gnome_canvas_request_redraw.

I'm 99% sure I shouldn't have to do this - I've looked at the
canvas-arrowhead.c
source in the gnome-canvas test application, and I don't see any forced
redraws.

Also the the canvas white paper section 'The Updating and Rendering
Process'
explicitely states that the canvas will redraw in response to an item
state change.

I'm at a loss as to how to begin debugging this.  Has anyone seen this
before, or
does anyone have any thoughts of where to go from here?

Thanks,
Kent