Networking Application

I am trying to write an application that controls a Gnome canvas from
across the network. I have succeeded in writing a test application that
reads in network input and writes to the gnome canvas, but I have only
been able to make it work for one shot. If I create a read from network,
write to canvas loop I do not get to the gnome_main function and so my
application never paints the canvas.

It looks like I need to use a GLib IO Channel and add it to the main event
loop. Are there any examples of how to use one? Can someone tell me of an
application that uses one?

Thanks,
Chris