hacking gnome-applets

I've been trying to hack on a couple of the panel applets but I am
having a problem with the configure script. I am running the latest
Helix on Debian Woody. It doesn't matter whether I grab the latest
drop from CVS or the latest Helix src debs, I always get this message
when running autogen.sh or configure(depending on if I am using CVS or
Helix):

<snip>

checking for XpmFreeXpmImage in -lXpm... yes
checking for gnome_window_icon_set_default_from_file in
-lgnomeui... no
configure: error: gnome-libs 1.0.59 or higher is required.

<snip>

Here is the relevant section from the config.log:

<snip>

configure:3002: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/include -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H
-I/usr/lib/
gnome-libs/include -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
-I/usr/lib/glib
/include -I/usr/X11R6/include  conftest.c -lgnomeui  -rdynamic
-L/usr/lib -L/usr
/X11R6/lib -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_imlib -lSM -lICE -lgtk -lgdk
-lgmodule -lX
i -lXext -lX11 -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile -lm -ldb
-lglib -ldl 1>&
5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldb
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 2991 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char gnome_window_icon_set_default_from_file();

int main() {
gnome_window_icon_set_default_from_file()
; return 0; }

<snip>

I know that I have a gnome-libs > 1.0.59. Check it out:

ii  libgnome-dev   1.2.8-helix1   The Gnome libraries -- development
package
ii  libgnome32     1.2.8-helix1   The Gnome libraries
ii  libgnomesuppor 1.2.8-helix1   The Gnome libraries (Support
libraries)
ii  libgnomeui32   1.2.8-helix1   The Gnome libraries (User Interface)

among other GNOME stuff.

I've already posted to one of the Helix lists but no one
replied. Could someone who it a little more famliliar with
m4/autoconf/automake please venture a guess as to why the configure
script doesn't detect that I have a recent version of gnome-libs
installed?

Thanks a bunch.

--
---