Process Tree

I never understood why all processed spawned by gnome-session have PPID=1, thus being shown as children of init, instead of showing as child processes of gnome-session as they should be (IMO). It doesn't happen in bash, nor in kde nor in xsm (the X Session Manager), so it seems to me against common UNIX practice.... I think that processed spawned by gnome-session should have as PPID the PID of gnome-session, and processed launched from the panel should be child processes of the panel (or gmc?).

So, it is a bug or a feature?